I’ve worked on Day Zero projects a couple of times before, but never completed them. Despite that, they helped me anyway by keeping me on track and giving me focus. Because of that, I’ve decided to go ahead and start a new one.
For those not familiar with the original Day Zero Project, here’s how it works:
The Challenge: Complete 101 tasks in 1,001 days
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).
My start date will be today, June 24, 2017. This gives me an end date of Saturday, March 21, 2020, which happens to be my forty-fifth birthday.
Here is the list:
- Earn the full CEBS designation.
- Earn my property & casualty license.
- Train as a tax preparer.
- Start my own business.
- Regain Spanish fluency.
- One benefits blog post a week. 0/143
- Take and pass three CLEP exams. 0/3
- Learn basic picture framing.
- Two personal blog posts a week. 0/286
- Write 150,000 words of fiction in twelve months. 0/150,000
- Finish Their Fathers’ Eyes core stories. 0/4
- Finish two Achenna Creek books. 0/2
- Finish one Contacts book.
- Workshop a novel at DragonCon.
- Keep a daily one-sentence journal for a year. 0/365
- Complete NaNoWriMo each year. 2017 | 2018 | 2019
- Review 30 books. 0/30
Social & Volunteering
- Complete 150 shifts with cat rescue. 0/150
- Give my mother a week of free manual labor each year. 2018 | 2019
- Have someone over for a meal ten times. 0/10
- Send Christmas postcards each year. 2017 | 2018 | 2019
Health & Fitness
- Get down to 150 pounds.
- Stay there for at least six months. 0/6
- Don’t eat fast food for a month.
- Don’t bite my nails for an entire month.
- Re-certify in First Aid and CPR.
- Get a pap smear and a mammogram.
- Go to the dermatologist.
- Finish dental restorations.
- Learn tai chi.
- Complete a 90-Day Walking Challenge.
- Walk a 5K.
- Walk a 10K.
- Walk a half marathon.
- Hike the entire Canyon Trail at Providence Canyon.
- Learn three line dances. 0/3
- Complete the Hundred Pushups challenge.
- Learn how to play tennis.
- Have a will & advance directive documents made.
- Maintain my routine every day for a month without a break.
Home & Garden
- Clean out back bedroom and purge all unnecessary items.
- Completely furnish and decorate all rooms.
- Make cupcakes.
- Make a salad out of food I’ve grown myself.
- Paint a piece of furniture.
- Buy a television.
- Have a fire in my fireplace.
- Create and implement a food and water storage plan.
- Buy a fire extinguisher.
- Set up a workable home office.
- Get a sewing machine.
- Re-learn how to sew clothes.
- Can at least one batch of three different foods. 0/3
- Learn how to make my own cleaning supplies.
- Develop my own pesto recipe.
- Put up Christmas decorations each year. 2017 | 2018 | 2019
- Replace doors and windows.
- Try 30 new recipes. 0/30
- Go meatless every Friday for six months. 0/6
- Pay off at least one credit card.
- Learn to play my guitar.
- Buy a mandolin.
- Learn to play the mandolin.
- Buy a violin or viola.
- Re-learn to play the violin/viola.
- Visit 30 new parks or historic sites. 0/30
- Visit the beach on Christmas Day each year. 2017 | 2018 | 2019
- Complete 10 cross-stitch projects. 0/10
- Eat something different for breakfast every day for a week.
- Take an archery class.
- Learn to play chess.
- Learn Esperanto.
- Take a math class.
- Read lectionary readings every day for a year.
- Re-learn calligraphy.
- Learn how to braid my hair.
- Take an overnight train trip.
- Go to a zoo.
- Visit five new states. 0/5
- Ride in a hot air balloon.
- Attend DragonCon each year. 2017 | 2018 | 2019
- Play paintball or laser tag.
- Go on a cruise.
- Drive the Savannah River Scenic Byway.
- Take a photo of the Johns Creek Educational Campus every month. 0/33
- Go to a baseball game.
- See a show at the Fox Theater.
- See the eclipse in August 2017.
- Visit the Atlanta Food Truck Park.
- Go to the Peachtree Corners Festival every year. 2018 | 2019
- Visit Florida’s Atlantic coast.
- Take a long weekend at Lake Hartwell.
- Complete a 52-Week Photo Challenge. 0/52
Get a pedicure.Completed July 7, 2017.
- Get my eyebrows done.
- Sing karaoke.
- Buy and use a slingbow.
- Track the weather every day for 90 days. 0/90
- Make a weekly update each Saturday. 2/143
- Inspire someone else to do a Day Zero project.
- Donate $1 to the American Diabetes Association for each item not completed.